House-Box, if you had not already of guessed, is a play on the word horse-box. A comprehensive restoration and conversion of a dilapidated old horse-box was the first project we undertook, and the name then stuck. We took huge pleasure in designing and creating a handmade, comfortable, and beautiful space in which to live full time, very economically, and ecologically. It was clear to us from this experience that this is what we should be doing...
Our main areas of work include converting mobile and static 'off-grid' spaces into bespoke, warm, and technologically equipped handmade homes. As well as converting existing structures (busses, boats, man-caves etc.) we can also build structures bespoke (tree-houses, stacked shipping containers, boxes on chassis etc.)
We are often approached to help other self-builders with their own projects in a more specialist capacity. Whether it's installing a solar system onto a converted removals lorry, or a wood-burning stove and 5:1 surround sound system into a shipping container!
As well as the types of 'full' conversion above, we also love taking unusual commissions for handmade and specialist items, no matter how big or small. Commissions past and present include, (amongst others) a fantasy pirates chest made of 400yr old timber, a hidden bookcase door, and a waney oak staircase with custom ironwork detailing. We really do enjoy a challenge so don't be shy in asking us if we can make your own ideas a reality, no matter how strange they may appear.
At House-Box we are extremely privileged to have in our extended community, a wealth of 'makers' with a great variety of skillsets. Consequently we are pleased to be approached with all sorts of intersting ideas, and obscure problems that need solving. The list of services we offer is fairly exhaustive, and we always love new challenges. Some of the tasks we more commonly undertake are:
- Full conversion of vehicles
- Conversion of static 'off-grid' dwellings
- Off-grid power generation and Storage inc. PV solar, Wind, Split charge etc.
- Rainwater harvesting and water recycling and purification
- Composting sanitation systems and compost collecting sanitation systems
- Wood-burner installations (non-domestic)
- Bespoke ironwork and metal commissions
- Bespoke carpentry, using nauturally shaped timber and greenwood work
- Vehicle box building/shipping container conversions
- Bespoke roof racks
- Luton extentions and box modifications
- Side and rear ramp systems
- Wetroom systems with hot showers
- Full Kitchens
- Canvas awning systems
- Restoration work
Whilst offering extensive vehicle and box restoration services, we don't offer any mechanical services relating to the propulsion of the vehicle.
To see some of our work please explore the site, and like us on facebook for regular updates of our shenanigans.
Please feel free to contact us for any more information, or browse the FAQ here on the website.